Thomas Hunter’s Arms of The Incorporations of 1758
The workmanship of this scissor-cut work of art is remarkable. Using only a sheet of paper, scissors, a pencil and watercolour, Thomas Hunter was able to create amazingly intricate coats of arms of the fourteen trades of Edinburgh and the arms of the Society of Barbers.
Bonnet of Thomas Guthrie of Scroggerfield (1746-1820)
[To see another image of this bonnet, click on "Read more"]
Bonnets do not usually survive the ravages of history for more than a generation or two, but here is one that has outlived its original owner by nearly two centuries.
Tipstaff of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers & Dyers of Edinburgh
This tipstaff has a medal attached to one end. The reverse of the medal bears the arms of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers & Dyers.
Summons or Order to Attend a General Meeting
This 19th century Order to the Freemen of the Incorporation by the Deacon to attend a General Meeting would have been sent to all Freemen of the Incorporation prior to all General Meetings.
The 14 Deacons of the Trades of Edinburgh with the Blue Blanket
This picture, based on a photograph taken in 1886, was probably painted between 1886 and 1890 (artist unknown) and shows the Deacons of the 14 Trades of Edinburgh.
Craftsmen of Mary's Chapel before the Palace of Holyrood
This painting shows representatives of the ten crafts embraced by the two incorporations of Wrights and Masons, who together comprise the United Incorporations of Mary’s Chapel.
Snuff Mull of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers & Dyers of Edinburgh
This snuff mull was given to the Incorporation in 1813 by John Picken, son of a deceased member, for the use of the freemen at their meetings.
Seal Matrix of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers & Dyers of Edinburgh
This seal is 19th century and bears the arms of the Incorporation. The Dyers, otherwise called litsters joined the Bonnetmakers in 1684, when the present joint name was adopted.
19th Century Depiction of The Arms
This is a close up of the arms that appeared at the top of the summons to Freemen of the Incorporation to attend a General Meeting.
Note the garland of oak leaves and acorns surrounding the arms.
Oath and Affirmation of Loyalty
Before the annual elections, all freemen of the incorporations had to qualify themselves in order to be allowed to vote in the election of their deacons. This qualification took the form of an oath, which was printed out with enough space for the signatures of all the freemen to be inserted.
Craft Dinner 2013
This picture shows the Deacon of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers & Dyers of Edinburgh and some of his office bearers.
Gonfalon of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers & Dyers of Edinburgh, 1822
Painted on silk by a local artist, Mr. Bayne. This gonfalon (i.e. a banner hung from a crossbar, often with streamers) of the Incorporation of Bonnetmakers & Dyers of Edinburgh was commissioned by the Incorporation in August 1822 for use at the festivities surrounding the occasion of King George IV’s visit to Edinburgh.
Coat of Arms (old)
The arms shown here depict the oldest recorded version, in which the field of the Dyers in sinister (the half with the chevron) is Argent (silver in colour), whereas the recently matriculated version shows it as Or (gold or yellow in colour) to match that of the Bonnetmakers’ original arms.
Coat of Arms (recent)
The recent Grant of Arms was matriculated at the Lyon Office in 2011. Rather than registering only the combined shields, the decision was taken to include the crest, being the Golden Fleece, and the motto “We Dye to Live”.
Banner called the “Blue Blanket” is said to have been presented to the Tradesmen of Edinburgh by King James III and his queen, Margaret of Denmark, in about 1482. It is also said to have been carried at the Battle of Flodden on 9th September 1513.